Sunday, October 21, 2007

Two weeks in...

We are here. We moved. As much as this feels like insanity, there is also a sense that this was absolutely the right thing to do.

The sun is quite amazing. My body is thoroughly confused, it can't possibly be fall. The forecast says that it is going to be 80 degrees on Tuesday. Unbelievable.

The kids are having a grand time with their aunt and uncle. We have been to the Durga Pooja (Bengali festival), where we ate amazing Indian food and Lily and I got our hands temporarily tattooed with Mendhi ($5 per hand! She does parties...guess what we're doing when our Mendhi loving friends visit for Spring Break?!). I am terribly uncomfortable in these situations, Indian women give me the look of death and it takes me a good while to get back into "India" mode where I am desensitized to this and look through people rather than at them.


Colleen's mendhi




Lily's mendhi

There was a woman at the Mendhi stand who's father designs shawls. They have them made in India then they bring them here and sell them. The prices are not too bad, we paid $70 for three beautiful wool shawls. The red/pink/orange one that is in the photos behind the hands is Lily's (it goes beautifully with her Hanna Andersson clothes). The other two are for me, I think.


Purple and green, beautifully reversible


Not sure the color is right in this, it's a beautiful light sagey green, reversible as well

We went to a "Disco Dandia" dance last night with said aunt and uncle. The music was too loud for Julian, but Lily and Arjun had a fabulous time dancing to music and tapping the Dandias (wood sticks that get tapped rhythmically while doing dance moves with other people). There is another of these this weekend, but we will be in Portland.

This is the beginning of the kids' education in the ways of the Indian. It is one thing I have wished for them for a long time, but no way to bring into their lives with any grace. Their aunt and uncle provide this beautifully. I am grateful.

Our house is...interesting. It's big and has a layout that is not terribly efficient. It's fine, and we will be very comfortable staying here. There is room for people to come and visit, which is exactly what I wanted. There is RV parking on our little putting golf course, and it is a fabulous neighborhood to walk in with a park just a block away. The downsides? It's very wealthy, and it's very white. I'm not sure this is the best place for us, but for now, it works just fine.

Me? I just want to cook.

1 comment:

Magpie Ima said...

Yay! You're in with the rest of us in the blogging world. Unlike me (just nattering on about whatever) you've got a perfectly good excuse since we're all still here, wondering what you all are up to.

Post some house photos, please.